New Patient Special: Exams, X-Rays, & Consultation $79
State-of-the-Art Natural-Looking, Durable Crowns
A dental crown is used to cap teeth that are broken-down, decayed, or chipped. They can also be used cosmetically to change the color, shape, or length of the tooth.
Dr. Ang uses the Carestream scanning system to make accurate impressions for your crown. These are superior to the traditional impressions made with putty, as well as being quicker and more comfortable. The Carestream uses 100,000 points of tiny laser lights to capture the impression of the patient’s teeth and bite. This information is transmitted to proprietary 3D software that Dr. Ang uses to design the crown.
For a completely natural look, Dr. Ang uses all-porcelain crowns and an excellent lab that makes the crowns by hand. Handmade crowns give incomparable translucence and vitality. For durability, Dr .Ang uses the very strong e.max porcelain.
Why a Crown?
Dr. Ang recommends crowns for a variety of reasons:
- Restore an already broken tooth or a tooth that has been severely worn down
- Hold a dental bridge in place
- Cover and support a tooth with a large filling when there isn’t a lot of tooth left
- Protect a weak tooth from breaking or to hold together a cracked tooth
- Cover misshapen or severely discolored teeth
- To improve a person’s bite. A poor bite – how the teeth touch when chewing – can be the cause of problems such as TMJ pain, headaches, and teeth grinding.
- To lengthen teeth that are too short
- Smile makeovers. For some patients, crowns can be a good alternative to porcelain veneers for creating a brand new smile. Typically Dr. Ang will recommend crowns over porcelain veneers when the teeth have a lot of decay or when crowns are needed to also adjust the bite.